The herbs used in this red clover and cleavers tincture are all beneficial for acute and chronic skin inflammation, including eczema, acne, psoriasis, and other skin problems. They help to detoxify the body and remove waste products via the urine, and have a laxative effect. In addition, they stimulate the liver and gall bladder. In case of serious or persistent skin conditions, seek professional advice.
- 1⁄2oz (15g) red clover,
- 1⁄2oz (15g) cleavers,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) viola (heartsease),
- 3⁄4oz (20g) violet leaves (Viola odorata),
- 3⁄4oz (20g) mahonia root (Mahonia aquifolium), finely chopped,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) gotu kola,
- 14fl oz (400ml) good-quality vodka.
Makes 10–12fl oz (300–350ml)
- Finely chop all the dried ingredients, but be careful not to powder them.
- Put all the ingredients except the vodka into a large glass jar with a secure-fitting lid. Pour over the vodka, close the lid tightly, and shake several times.
- Label the jar with the names of all the ingredients and the date. Put the jar in a dark cupboard and shake it at least once every day for the next three weeks.
- Strain the contents of the jar through a muslin (cheesecloth) bag into a measuring jug and transfer the tincture into an appropriately sized (12–14fl oz/350–400ml) sterilized amber glass bottle. Seal the bottle.
- Label the bottle with the names of all the ingredients and the original starting date.
- Begin by taking a few drops each day and build up to one teaspoon 2–3 times daily. Use within six months.
NOTE: Don’t use this tincture if pregnant.