This peppermint and thyme tincture has a good enough taste to be served as an aperitif. It improves digestion and stimulates the activity of the large intestine, and helps to expel gas and calm a nervous stomach. Use the tincture within six months.
- scant 1oz (25g) peppermint,
- 1⁄2oz (15g) thyme,
- scant 1oz (25g) chamomile,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) yarrow,
- 1⁄2oz (15g) liquorice root,
- 16fl oz (500ml) good-quality vodka.
- Put all the ingredients except the vodka in a large jar.
- Pour over the vodka, stir thoroughly to ensure all the ingredients are well immersed. Seal the jar tightly and position it in a dark cupboard. Shake the the jar every day for the next three weeks.
- Open the jar and strain the ingredients through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a shallow bowl. Discard the ingredients in the cheesecloth and transfer the liquid into an amber glass bottle.
- Label the tincture bottle with all the ingredients and the date.
- Take 1 teaspoon in a glass of warm or cold water and sip before or after meals.
NOTE: Don’t use this tincture if pregnant.