Sheets of nutritious toasted nori seaweed taste delicious in a form of a healthy snack, and are perfect to use as a wrap filled with fresh vegetables. These rolls make an amazingly light, detoxing meal to enjoy on the go–a true raw food “sandwich.” In this recipe the nori rolls are served as a salad with a tasty dressing.
- 2 heaping tbsp sesame seeds,
- 5 square sheets toasted nori seaweed,
- 1 small or 1/2 a large papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into thin strips,
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips,
- 1 chili pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips,
- 4in (10cm) inner white part of a leek, sliced thinly lengthwise,
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into thin strips.
FOR THE DRESSING
- juice of 1 lime,
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed,
- 1⁄2 tsp ginger root, finely grated,
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped,
- 1 tsp light barley miso paste,
- 1⁄2 tsp lime zest,
- 1 tsp maple syrup,
- 3 tbsp mineral water.
Makes 3–4 servings
- In a small pan, toast the sesame seeds over low heat for 3–4 minutes, stirring, until they turn lightly golden and start to release a nutty aroma.
- To make the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor with 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds and blend until smooth.
- Pour water into a small bowl. Place a sheet of nori on a sushi mat or a square of parchment paper a little longer and wider than the sheet of nori.
- Put some of each ingredient heaped on top of one another in a line 3⁄4–11⁄4in (2–3cm) from the edge of the bottom of the nori sheet.
- Drizzle a little of the dressing over the vegetables and scatter some of the remaining toasted sesame seeds over the top.
- Lift the bottom edge of the sushi mat (or paper) and roll up the nori with the ingredients inside. To seal the nori roll, wet your fingers in the bowl of water, dampen the top edge of the nori sheet, and finish rolling the nori. Repeat with the rest of nori sheets, vegetables, and dressing.
- To serve, slice the nori rolls into three sections, and stand each one upright on a serving plate. Sprinkle each nori roll with toasted sesame seeds, and use any remaining dressing as a dip.