Nettle soup is a traditional spring cleanser for detoxifying the body and has been used as a health tonic for centuries in Europe. Nettles are packed with vitamins and minerals and cleanse the blood, clear toxins, increase the quality of skin and hair, and lower blood pressure. Sweet potato, which contains a lot of vitamin A, also helps to stimulate digestion, detoxify the body, and ease inflammation and dryness. Try this delicious and cleansing nettle and sweet potato soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil,
- 1 medium-sized onion, or 4 shallots, chopped,
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, chopped into small pieces,
- 2 garlic cloves, squeezed,
- 1 quart (1 liter) vegetable stock,
- 9oz (250g) young nettle leaves, washed and chopped,
- salt and freshly ground black pepper,
- 2–3 tbsp barley miso paste,
- 4 tsp half-fat crème fraîche, or plain yogurt.
Makes 4 servings
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions or shallots and sweet potato for 2–3 minutes. Add the garlic and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, then stir in the nettles and remove from the heat.
- Pour the soup into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and the miso paste. Serve in bowls, each with a teaspoon of crème fraiche or yogurt.