Nasturtium and sprouted seed salad is a nourishing meal. Sprouted seeds are a rich source of fresh nutrients. Sprouts in general are a mineral-rich food; they commonly have diuretic and bowel-balancing properties, and for this reason they are important foods in a detox regime. Nasturtium flowers delivers a delicately peppery taste to this salad. As a medicine, they are believed to be beneficial to the lungs and kidneys.
- 21⁄2oz (75g) alfalfa sprouts,
- 1 avocado, chopped,
- 1 large tomato, chopped,
- 8 nasturtium flowers.
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 tbsp olive oil,
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon,
- 1⁄4 tsp mustard,
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Makes 2 servings
- Rinse the alfalfa sprouts well in a strainer under running water, then dry them in a salad spinner or with clean paper towels.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and mix well to create a smooth vinaigrette.
- Put the alfalfa sprouts in a serving bowl and add the avocado and tomato. Pour over the dressing and stir thoroughly. Decorate with the nasturtium flowers and serve.