A mild expectorant to relieve winter coughs, this mullein and anise seed syrup is made of tinctures of mullein, anise seed, thyme, and marshmallow root, in combination with the anti-inflammatory properties of plantain and liquorice, to ease inflammation and coughs. Manuka honey helps to soothe and moisten inflamed air passageways, and makes the tinctures more palatable. This recipe provides a quick method to make a syrup.
- 4 tsp mullein leaf tincture,
- 4 tsp marshmallow root tincture,
- 1 tbsp anise seed tincture,
- 1 tbsp thyme tincture,
- 4 tsp plantain tincture,
- 2 tsp liquorice root tincture,
- 1⁄2 cup manuka honey.
- Combine the tinctures and honey, blend thoroughly, and pour into a sterilized 9fl oz (250ml) amber glass bottle. Seal, label with names of all the ingredients, and date.
NOTE: Don’t use this tea if pregnant. In case of persistent coughs, consult your doctor.