You can happily offer this fresh-tasting, minty cucumber salad with friends who don’t eat milk and milk-related products. Cucumbers are cooling, so this dish is perfect for hot summer days. If you serve it in winter, add some finely chopped fresh chili pepper. Use young cucumbers with small, compact seeds, or scoop out the larger seeds from a mature cucumber using a spoon.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled,
- a few fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, to decorate.
FOR THE CASHEW NUT CREAM
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts, pre-soaked,
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed,
- 2 tsp white miso,
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice,
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped,
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped.
Makes 4 servings
- Halve the cucumber lengthwise and scoop out any large seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumber into small dices and place in a serving bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients for the cashew nut cream in a blender or food processor, and blend well. Add ½ cup of water or more to adjust the consistency to that of heavy cream.
- Pour the cashew nut cream over the cucumber and mix well. Sprinkle with finely chopped mint leaves.