Through the centuries, goji berries have become recognized as a food that protects the body from premature aging. It’s now renowned as a “superfood,” being a rich source of antioxidants and a tonic that encourages a lighter, more cheerful mood, eases anxiety and stress, improves sleep, and boosts energy and strength. You should try this delicious and super healthy mint and goji berry soup.
- 31⁄2oz (100g) dried goji berries,
- 1 tbsp olive oil,
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped,
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped,
- 1 pint (600ml) vegetable stock,
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus extra to decorate.
Makes 4 servings
- Rinse the berries and soak them in water for a couple of minutes to rehydrate them. Heat the oil in a saucepan, sauté the shallots for several minutes, then stir in the tomatoes and goji berries. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes before adding the stock. Stir and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add the mint leaves and remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until you get a smooth texture.
- Decorate with mint leaves and serve.
NOTE: To peel the tomatoes, with a knife make a cross incision through the skin at the base of the tomato and put in a heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water to cover and allow to stand for a couple of minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the water with a slotted spoon. The skin should peel away easily.