The following is the fastest, easiest, and most practical method of making an infused or macerated oil; it’s also called the “heat” method. Adjust the quantities below to make a smaller or larger amount of oil; you should always use enough oil to completely cover the chopped herbs in the bowl.
- 31⁄2oz (100g) dried herbs or 10oz (300g) finely chopped fresh herbs,
- 2 cups vegetable oil, such as organic sunflower or olive oil.
- Put the finely chopped herbs in a heatproof bowl, and pour over the oil to completely cover the herbs.
- Put the bowl over a pan of boiling water on the stove, cover, and heat gently for two hours. Add water as needed.
- Strain the mixture and repeat by adding fresh herbs to the oil and heating gently for another hour.
- Strain the oil, pour into a sterilized dark glass bottle, and label with the name and date.
- If you use fresh herbs, leave the oil standing for a couple of hours after straining to allow water from the herbs to sink to the bottom. Pour off the oil into the sterilized bottle and discard any water.
- Keep in a cool place and use within three months.