Lime flower and hawthorn berry tincture is a heart tonic beneficial for easing nervous palpitations and discomfort caused by stress and anxiety. Hawthorn berries and lemon balm have nourishing and heart-strengthening properties, while lemon balm and lime flowers calm the mind and improve sleep patterns. Cramp and yarrow bark relax the blood vessels, ensuring a better supply of blood to the heart, and also lower blood pressure.
- 3⁄4oz (20g) lime flowers,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) hawthorn berries,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) yarrow,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) lemon balm,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) crampbark,
- 14fl oz (400ml) good-quality vodka.
Makes 10–12fl oz (300–350ml)
- Finely chop all the dried ingredients, but be careful not to powder them.
- Put all the ingredients except the vodka into a large glass jar with a secure-fitting lid. Pour over the vodka, close the lid tightly, and shake several times.
- Label the jar with the names of all the ingredients and the date. Put the jar in a dark cupboard and shake it at least once every day for the next three weeks.
- Strain the contents of the jar through a muslin (cheesecloth) bag into a measuring jug and transfer the tincture into an appropriately sized (12–14fl oz/350–400ml) sterilized amber glass bottle. Seal the bottle.
- Label the bottle with the names of all the ingredients and the original starting date.
- Begin by taking a few drops each day and build up to one teaspoon 2–3 times daily. Use within six months.
NOTE: Don’t use this tincture if pregnant or taking prescribed medication.