This goji berry and Siberian ginseng tincture strengthens the body’s natural defenses and enhances mental concentration, physical stamina, and a feeling of well-being. This is achieved by energizing the body, particularly the liver and the hormonal, nervous, and immune systems. If you can’t find fresh oat tops (the top 8in (20cm) of the plant), use the dried oats that you can obtain from grocers and supermarkets.
- scant 1oz (25g) goji berries,
- scant 1oz (25g) Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus),
- scant 1oz (25g) oat tops or dried oats,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) schisandra berries,
- 1⁄8oz (5g) liquorice root,
- 14fl oz (400ml) good-quality vodka.
Makes 10–12fl oz (300–350ml)
- Finely chop all the dried ingredients, but be careful not to powder them.
- Put all the ingredients except the vodka into a large glass jar with a secure-fitting lid. Pour over the vodka, close the lid tightly, and shake several times.
- Label the jar with the names of all the ingredients and the date. Put the jar in a dark cupboard and shake it at least once every day for the next three weeks.
- Strain the contents of the jar through a muslin (cheesecloth) bag into a measuring jug and transfer the tincture into an appropriately sized (12–14fl oz/350–400ml) sterilized amber glass bottle. Seal the bottle.
- Label the bottle with the names of all the ingredients and the original starting date.
- Begin by taking a few drops each day and build up to one teaspoon 2–3 times daily. Use within six months.
NOTE: Don’t use this tincture if pregnant.