This crampbark and valerian tincture eases broad-spectrum spasmodic pain caused by stress, including discomfort connected to disturbed sleep, irritability, and nervous indigestion. Crampbark helps ease smooth muscle spasms, valerian and passionflower are mild sedatives and ease irritability, and chamomile has an anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic effect.
- scant 1oz (25g) crampbark,
- scant 1oz (25g) valerian root,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) passionflower,
- 3⁄4oz (20g) chamomile,
- 14fl oz (400ml) good-quality vodka.
Makes 10–12fl oz (300–350ml)
- Finely chop all the dried ingredients, but be careful not to powder them.
- Put all the ingredients except the vodka into a large glass jar with a secure-fitting lid. Pour over the vodka, close the lid tightly, and shake several times.
- Make a label with names of all the ingredients and the date. Place the jar in a dark cupboard and shake it daily, at least one a day, for three weeks.
- Strain the contents of the jar through a muslin (cheesecloth) bag into a measuring jug and pour the tincture into an appropriately sized (12–14fl oz/350–400ml) sterilized amber glass bottle. Seal the bottle.
- Label the bottle with names of all the ingredients and the original starting date.
- Start by taking a few drops every day and increase the dosage up to 1 teaspoon 2–3 times daily. Use within six months.
NOTE: Don’t use if pregnant.