Blackberries contain very high levels of antioxidants and are widely used as a traditional remedy for sore throats and colds. This blackberry and lime cordial also benefits from the refreshing and antiseptic taste of limes, which help to remove toxins from the system and cool the body.
- 21⁄4lb (1kg) fresh blackberries,
- juice of 4 limes,
- 13⁄4 cups superfine sugar.
Makes approx 13⁄4 cups
- Over low heat, in a saucepan simmer the blackberries and lime juice in 2 cups of water for about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then push the mixture through a sieve and remove the pulp and seeds. Transfer the strained juice into a clean saucepan and add the sugar. Over low heat, stir frequently until the sugar has dissolved, and then simmer for around 5 minutes until the mixture turns syrupy.
- Pour into sterilized bottles, seal, put in the fridge, and use within a couple of days. Dilute to taste with still or fizzy mineral water and add fresh lime or mint slices to make a refreshing drink.