Moles are Mexican cooked sauces, flavored with chile peppers and herbs. Mole verde (green mole) is good with poached chicken breast and sautéed duck breast.
- 2⁄3 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
- 6 tomatillos, fresh or canned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves from 3 sprigs of fresh epazote, or 1 tbsp dried
- 4 serrano chile peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
Directions: dry roast the pumpkin seeds, stirring to prevent burning. Grind when they cool. If the tomatillos are fresh, remove the husks and chop the flesh. In a food processor, mix the tomatillos with the herbs, vegetables, and spices. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the sauce, stirring constantly, over high heat so that it thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir the pumpkin seeds into the stock and add to the sauce. Very gently heat it, avoiding boiling or it’ll lose its colour. Let it barely simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.