The important ingredients in this Lebanese Fattoush salad are sumac, fresh herbs, and bread. You can use watercress or more mint and parsley if you have no purslane.
- 1 pita bread
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 tomatoes, cut in chunks
- handful of radishes, cut in half
- 6 scallions, sliced
- a couple of lettuce leaves, torn if large
- large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- large handful of fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- sprigs and leaves from a small bunch of purslane
- 1 tbsp sumac salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
Directions: split open the pita bread and toast with the open side to the broiler till lightly golden and crisp. Break it into small pieces. Cut the cucumber into 4 sections lengthwise, and then into pieces. Put all the vegetables and herbs into a bowl and scatter the bread excessive. Whisk the sumac, salt, and pepper into the lemon juice, then whisk in the oil. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and serve at once before the bread gets soggy.