Sambals with hot, sweet, and sour flavors are common condiments in Indonesia and Malaysia. Cucumber sambal goes well with chicken satay, grilled fish, and vegetables.
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 small, hot red chile pepper, seeds removed and cut in shreds
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1⁄2 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp granulate sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2–3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
Directions: remove the seeds from the cucumber and cut the flesh into short, thin strips. Mix with the onion, chile, and parsley or cilantro. Stir the fennel, sugar, and seasoning into the lemon juice, then add the oil and toss with the cucumber mixture.